Saturday, November 7, 2009

I Can't Believe It!

We are all recovering from the dreaded flu, but what a week!  First of all my youngest started on Monday evening with it.  I took him in on Tuesday, he was diagnosed and Tamiflu was prescribed.  Great.  He had many of the symptoms - achiness, headache, sore throat, fever.  Predicted recovery time - 3 to 5 days.  The problem - my husband recently switched jobs and our new insurance did not kick in yet - from what the pediatrician's office could see on their "magic" computer.  Because I am a frequent flyer at the doctor's office, they cut me a break and only charged me my copay.  They would bill the insurance company, it would be rejected and they would resubmit to the new insurance company.  Our new insurance was effective as of the start date and it will all be worked out "eventually". 

I left and went right to the pharmacy and their friggin' computer says the same thing.  I need to fill the subscription for the Tamiflu - thinking it is imperative that he have it.  Guess what - if you technically don't have insurance, even though you really do, it costs $119.00 for a tiny bottle of Tamiflu.  The irony is - we never gave it to him.  Within twenty four hours his fever subsided and he spent the next two days with a mild cough, horrible headache and sore throat.  The expensive medicine is sitting at the back of my refrigerator.


Fast foward to Thursday afternoon, when my oldest started with his symptoms.  I brought him to the doctor's office Friday morning.  Check-in, insurance still hasn't kicked in according to their computer.  The office manager is lurking around and the same girl at the front desk just wants to charge me the copay. But the office manager who I have never seen before says I have to pay in full and submit it to the insurance company.  OK fine - my kid needs to be seen - he can barely stand, he's so weak and dizzy.  I gave my credit card at the end of the visit and almost fell over when I signed the bill - $222 for a fifteen minute appoinment with the nurse practitioner (who I absolutely love).  I was totally beside myself by the time I got in the car, and I'll be reimbursed!  What do people do who don't have insurance?  I truly thought the visit would be around $75.  I am floored!

NeuroticMom

No comments:

Post a Comment