Friday, October 23, 2009

Kindle - Easy, Affordable & Convenient







My husband’s birthday was yesterday and he loved his gift. I bought the Amazon Kindle for him. For those of you who see something cool that someone else is using and think it’s the greatest new thing out there - only to realize that it’s been around for a while and so many people have it already – this is the perfect gift for someone or treat for yourself.

The thought of having books downloaded to a comfortable, easy to read device seems crazy. eBooks at the touch of a button. Who comes up with this and offers it to everyone on the planet? Amazon.com. Not only can you download books – but newspapers, blogs, magazines, etc. Now you are able to read a book review in a magazine or online, talk to a friend and get the name of a great book and have it in your hands in a minute. A Kindle enables you to read a segment of a particular book for free and then if you want the entire book you can download it in 60 seconds. How is this possible? What does it mean? Travelling with books at your fingertips – reading anywhere – your own personal library! The Kindle can hold 1,500 books!

For book lovers this is a great invention. For children who have forgotten a book at school but have a project, no need to worry.

Now all of my boys want their own Kindle. Sorry. We will share my husband’s until I get one of my own. It’s at the top of my Christmas list. I can’t wait! I think it’s a great gift for kids going off to college. But right now I think it would be too much for my children to have access to an on-line book store. It’s also important to me that my kids hold a book in their hands at this point. They are so enamored with technology, would it help them to read even more? Not sure about that. I am going to try to hold off a bit longer for my oldest so he appreciates holding a book a little more.

Another great feature of the Kindle is changing the font size. Those who are far-sighted can easily change the font size. Years ago, my mother-in-law had macular degeneration. She loved to read. She had a projection screen that was similar to what we had in school in the “old day’s” that projected a book . She held the book under the light and turned each page. We thought it was the greatest thing out there and it was at the time. Look how far technology has come!

The Kindle has to be one of the hottest items out there and if you're thinking of it as a present around the holidays, I wouldn’t wait.

My two cents,
NeuroticMom

No comments:

Post a Comment