Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Express

I just finished watching "The Express".  What a great movie.  I love movies about true stories and this one is inspiring.  Ernie Davis was an African-American football player for Syracuse in the late fifties, early sixties.  He lead the team to the National Title in 1959 and he was the first black man to win the Heisman Trophy (1961).  I didn't know the history behind the story before I sat down.  My fourteen year came in 3/4 of the way through the movie and Ernie had started to experience nose bleeds and wasn't feeling well.  I didn't need to say anything, my son sat down and watched the rest of the movie with me.  Ernie Davis died of leukemia at the age of 23.  He was a player for the Cleveland Browns, who never played in a game because of his illness. 

After the movie, my son got up, gave me a kiss good night and said, "I was lucky."  You see, my son had leukemia - he is a ten year survivor.  With tears in my eyes, I told him he was lucky but I also believe with all of me heart that he is here for a reason - whether he does a million ordinary, simple things with his life or something extraordinary.  Maybe his children will do something extraordinary, who knows.  But, he is here for a reason....and he was very lucky:)

Counting my blessings,
NeuroticMom


No comments:

Post a Comment