Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Givers

My husband and I were talking about the crisis in Haiti.  We were discussing a CNN report about the sheer amount of money our country has donated to the relief effort.  The U.S. has committed $150 million dollars to the cause.  Let alone all the troops, aid workers and equipment.

And it all served to remind me of just what a great country we live in.


And I am so happy that our children are being raised in a country that, despite our own economic turmoil, jumps in to help other nations.  We don't wait to see what the rest of the world is doing.  We are a nation that gives.


From texting, to Twitter, to telethons, to school children with hot cocoa stands (it is winter here after all), to our own firefighters with their jaws of life; we Give.
I love that my children have etched into their little brains and consciousness that when there is a crisis we respond.  You don't have to be rich to give.  You just have to do your little part.


I was reading this article about the orchestration of the relief effort.  It also links to an amazing spreadsheet of donations by countries, individuals, and companies.  Click on the link.  You may be surprised by the number of corporations and organizations putting up big numbers.  (Way to go Giselle Bundchen & Sandra Bullock!)
Keep on Giving.
TechnoMom  


1 comment:

  1. UMM, think I'm going to shop at LOWES instead of Home Depot! Thanks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete